Something amazing happened this week. Twitter user and certified genius Emma Razeng discovered the secret plot of one of New Zealand’s most famous cinematic exports.
This got me thinking… I wonder how many movies could be seen as being ‘about’ getting a research degree?
My PhD was a bit like Gravity:
- I took a cautious step into the unknown, carefully tethered to a whole support system
- Then I found myself way out in intellectual deep space, with no-one able to help me, except one trusted advisor who was often pulled out of range of communications
- At times my brain conjured a George Clooney-like fantasy figure just to keep me going that little bit longer
- Dodging various fires, and feeling like I had no air, I eventually considered giving up
- But something deep in my subconscious kept me going, and against all odds, I used a combination of desperation and ingenuity to find a way back to planet Earth
- I landed dazed and spluttering, stepping shakily onto solid ground
- The whole thing took about 4 1/2 years to produce; much longer than expected