Welcome back! AUT is back up and running for 2018 after the summer break, and we’re excited for another year of exciting postgrad research.
As we gear up for the year, it’s natural to start thinking of what we want to achieve. Like the rest of the world, setting (and then breaking) resolutions to drink more water or go to the gym, we in academia can set resolutions for ourselves. Here are mine:
- Organise EndNote library and delete duplicates
- Actively engage in online professional groups, instead of just observing
- Start all conference presentation PowerPoints from scratch instead of adapting old slides
- Take peer review comments as constructive criticism, and stop getting irrationally mad at them
- Drink more water and go to the gym
I’m not sure how realistic these are, especially since my EndNote library has been spiralling out of control for the better part of a decade, but hey – I can try.
If you’re planning some slightly more immediate professional development in 2018, you might want to check out the workshops on offer over the next few months. Here are some highlights – follow the links for more information and to book (you’ll have to log in to CareerHub).
25 – Workshop: Preparing for your Doctoral Oral Examination
27 – Workshop: NVivo Core Skills
2 – Webinar: Analysing Qualitative Data
6 – Workshop: Interviewing Skills
14 – Workshop: Working with your Supervisors
22 – Workshop: Introduction to Research
27 – Workshop: Preparing for your Doctoral Oral Examination
- Writing retreats are scheduled for:
- The annual Postgraduate Symposium is scheduled for 17 August (closing date for submissions: 22 June)